Keep Your Classic Cruising: Old School Car Care for Modern Times They say love lasts…
STUDIES SHOW SAME PERFORMANCE BETWEEN RECENTLY PRODUCED TYRES AND TYRES PRODUCED 3 YEARS AGO*
Tyre ageing : What’s the true story?
What does DOT mean and where can you find it on the tyre?
Department of Transportation (DOT) safety code is your tyre’s identification number, carrying the tyre manufacturing date. It has twelve characters. The ninth and tenth characters indicate the week the tyre was manufactured. The final two characters signify the year the tyre was manufactured.
How does a recently produced Michelin tyre and a 3 year old Michelin tyre have the same performance?
There is widespread misunderstanding of how tyres age.
- The rubber compounds used in Michelin tyres contain anti-oxidising chemicals that slow down tyre ageing significantly.
- While in storage (pre-installation), a tyre is not inflated, unloaded and subjected to only minor temperature fluctuations of the storage facility.
- This means that the Michelin tyre is as good as new when installed on a vehicle.
- Hence the most important date for you is not the manufacturing date, but the date of installation.
- This is why Michelin tyre warranty is applicable for 3 years from the date of purchase of the tyre, or the end of tyre life whichever comes first.